john woodhouse rsvped for Healthy Transportation Coalition members Organizing4Power 2019-10-21 18:02:18 -0400
We are excited to be working on 6 active campaigns at the moment (affordable housing near rapid transit, affordable public transit, electric buses, ParaParity, snow & ice clearing off sidewalks, and Vision Zero), but what can we do to make sure we win these important campaigns?
If you are passionate about these issues, and what to get involved, please register to take part in Organizing for Power, with Jane McAlevey.
The training takes place on four evenings over the coming month (Oct. 29, and Nov. 12, 19, 26, from 8pm to 9:30pm).
A group of us will be gathering at the University of Ottawa for the trainings, and you would need to commit to joining us at all four training dates, times in order to participate.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch. If you are ready to commit, please register now.WHENOctober 29, 2019 at 8pmWHEREroom 206, UCU building, University of Ottawa
85 University Private
Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5
Google map and directions
The City of Ottawa is planning to increase OC Transpo fares by 2.5% per year, but we already have some of the most expensive transit fares in Canada. We must speak out so people living on low incomes can afford to ride public transit.GOAL: 53 signatures
Petition for Affordable Public Transit
To: Ottawa City Council, 110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON, K1P 1J1OC Transpo has some of the most expensive transit fares in Canada. We must ensure that people living on low incomes can afford to ride public transit.
I/We the undersigned, petition Ottawa City Council to:
- Freeze transit fares in Budget 2020 for people who use the Access, Community, and EquiPasses;
- Increase the standard transfer time from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours.
- Increase the eligibility of the EquiPass by 15% above the Low-Income Cut-Off, as defined by Statistics Canada;
- Add 1 weekday of free transit use for people living on low-income; and
- Implement a sliding scale for transit fares, with different price bands based on people’s income (for example, in Calgary, if an individual earns less than $12,000 a year, their monthly public transit pass costs them less than $6/month).
By signing this petition, I hereby acknowledge that this petition will become a public document at the City of Ottawa and that all information contained in it will be subject to the scrutiny of the City, and will be publicly available. Questions about the collection and disclosure of personal information contained in this petition should be directed to the City Clerk, 110 Laurier Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1J1.
By providing your email address, you consent to Healthy Transportation Coalition sending you electronic messages. You can withdraw your consent at any time.
john woodhouse wants to volunteer 2019-08-03 07:50:31 -0400
We are working on a project to improve transportation equity in the Vanier community. We want to make sure that all voices are heard, and support marginalized people to engage with decision makers. To achieve this, we are building teams in target neighbourhoods to strategize and engage with political actors and city staff, in order to achieve better, more equitable, transit outcomes.
How would you fit in?
As a volunteer, you can help us reach out to people in low-income neighbourhoods in Ottawa, especially people who are living on low incomes, newcomers to Canada, and people living with disabilities. Help us build meaningful relationships and act in solidarity. Help us to support marginalized people as they learn the power of their stories, and as we carve out spaces for equity and inclusion in municipal politics together!
Activities you can participate in:
- Door to door and phone outreach in target neighbourhoods
- Maintaining relationships, providing support for team members
- Planning and logistics for meetings, rallies, other events
Benefits to you:
- Getting involved with an enthusiastic (and friendly) team of activists
- Learning about grassroots organizing, strategizing to affect positive change
- Gain experience and confidence in community outreach, project organizing, and logistics
Please specify below what dates, times, and how often you are available to volunteer.Become a volunteer
john woodhouse wants to volunteer 2018-05-24 15:49:59 -0400
john woodhouse answered 2017-04-09 09:24:43 -0400Q: Would you consider joining the Healthy Transportation Coalition as a member?
A: I am a member