COMMUNITY OUTREACH VOLUNTEERS NEEDED- Campaign for Affordable Housing
As part of a campaign to secure affordable housing near the rapid transit stations in Ottawa, The Healthy Transportation Coalition is seeking motivated and enthusiastic volunteers to work flexible hours as community outreach volunteers!
- Tens of thousands of families in Ottawa do not have housing they can afford. One of every five renter households is paying more than half their gross income on rent. National trends indicate that housing costs increase near rapid transit hubs. The City’s plan to expand the Light Rail Transit system causes concern for an increase in housing costs where modest income populations are at a disadvantage. Affordable, inclusive, and equitable Transit-Oriented Development is needed to foster safe and healthy communities, people, and a strong economy.
- We need Ottawa City Council to act now to ensure it is not just the very wealthy who can afford to live near rapid transit in Ottawa. Thus far, 1,500 people have signed a related petition, and 300 people have e-mailed the Mayor. In the lead up to Budget 2019, we are gathering more petition signatures, encouraging people to e-mail the Mayor, and asking people to attend budget consultation events.
This work includes, but is not limited to:
- Seek petition signatures
- Assist with logistics of organizing a working group
- Help with promotion and logistics of upcoming events
- Correspond with community members to engage them in our activities and initiatives
- Promote our volunteer opportunities
- Able to communicate in English orally and in writing (ability to also communicate in French is considered a strong asset)
- Sense of initiative
- Personable, positive attitude
- Comfortable speaking with others
Good for people interested in:
- Event planning and participation, communication and promotion, community organizing, anti-poverty, accessible and affordable public transportation
How does this benefit you?
- You can gain an understanding of city politics, event logistics, and how to work with residents and city-decision makers on meaningful issues
- You can gain experience in public outreach, and learn about growing a campaign network through one on one recruitment
It is hoped that volunteers would be available to dedicate as little as 3, or up to 30 hours a week, on helping us accomplish these tasks. Please indicate your weekly availability when applying.
Please fill out the chart below or contact us to share your availability (dates and hours): Erin Andrews or Emma Coulter