This is a joint petition between Ecology Ottawa, the Healthy Transportation Coalition, and the Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa.
OC Transpo’s bus fleet is responsible for about 45% of the City of Ottawa’s corporate emissions with about 125,000 tonnes of CO2 emitted every year. A policy change can reduce this by 95% over 15 years. Electric buses reduce GHG emissions, improve air quality and reduce noise. Light Rail Transit (LRT) will reduce the intensity of transit emissions in Ottawa, but LRT success will lead to overall growth in bus transit in Ottawa as feeder bus routes grow to match the capacity of the LRT. Electric buses are much cheaper to operate, fuel and maintenance costs are much lower so more transit can be provided for the same operational budget.GOAL: 1,927 signatures
I/We the undersigned, petition Ottawa City Council to match the commitments already made by Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Laval, and Edmonton.
In the 2019-2022 Term-of-Council Priorities commit to a planning process to electrify the bus fleet, with a clear commitment to the following targets:
- Run an electric bus pilot in 2020;
- Introduce electric buses on regular service by 2021;
- Purchase only electric buses starting in 2024; and
- A 100% electric bus fleet by 2035.
At the Healthy Transportation Coalition, we believe in equity, affordability, and accessibility. Anyone is welcome to join the coalition, regardless of their ability to pay. If you would like to join without making a donation, please sign up below!Sign up
Petition for Affordable Housing Near Rapid Transit
To: Ottawa City Council, 110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON, K1P 1J1
More than 40,000 families in Ottawa do not have housing they can afford. National trends indicate that housing costs increase near rapid transit hubs. The City’s plan to expand the Light Rail Transit system causes concern for an increase in housing costs where modest income populations are at a disadvantage. Affordable, inclusive, and equitable Transit-Oriented Development is needed to foster safe and healthy communities, people, and a strong economy.GOAL: 222 signatures
I/We the undersigned, petition Ottawa City Council to:
1) Pass a strong citywide inclusionary zoning by-law that ensures 25% of new development is dedicated to affordable housing and places a special emphasis on deeply affordable housing within 1 km of rapid transit stations;
2) Ensure that all available government-owned land within 1 km of current & future rapid transit stations is used for non-profit and co-op housing;
3) Create a 2019-2022 Term of Council Priority that integrates transit and planning, with clear, affordable housing targets; and
4) Commit at least $12 million/year of City funding, over and above federal and provincial grants, to build new affordable housing
By signing this petition, I hereby acknowledge that this petition will become a public document at the City of Ottawa and that all information contained in it will be subject to the scrutiny of the City, and will be publicly available. Questions about the collection and disclosure of personal information contained in this petition should be directed to the City Clerk, 110 Laurier Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1J1.
The campaign for Affordable Housing Near Rapid Transit has been endorsed by the following organizations:
City for All Women Initiative, Coalition of Community Health & Resource Centres of Ottawa, Healthy Transportation Coalition, Making Voices Count, Ottawa ACORN.