102 Greenview Ave, Garden Room
As part of the trillium seed grant, we aimed to create teams in low income neighbourhoods in Ottawa who would identify priorities for transportation system improvements in their area, strategize possible actions to take, and ultimately take action to ensure that those improvements were made, with the support of the Healthy Transportation Coalition. In Bay Ward, so far, we have:
- Generated a list of transportation issues;
- Voted on our top priorities, including ensuring that buses don’t drive away too quickly, before vulnerable passengers are able to get to their seats, reducing bus fares because they are too expensive, and ensuring that sidewalks are better maintained, especially at Poulin Avenue and Don Street;
- Planned and held a letter writing party, where team members wrote letters to Councillor Kavanagh outlining their top priorities and actions that need to be taken, and presented these to the Councillor.
Before our next meeting, we will be taking pictures of sidewalks that require immediate repairs. At our next meeting we will:
- Compile our photos and share them with Councillor Kavanagh;
- Develop a list of considerations to take into account when buses drive away too quickly to share with OC Transpo;
- Continue the fight for a crosswalk installation at Woodridge Crescent to Bayshore Station.