The City of Ottawa is planning to increase OC Transpo fares by 2.5% per year, but we already have some of the most expensive transit fares in Canada. We must speak out so people living on low incomes can afford to ride public transit.GOAL: 57 signatures
Petition for Affordable Public Transit
To: Ottawa City Council, 110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON, K1P 1J1OC Transpo has some of the most expensive transit fares in Canada. We must ensure that people living on low incomes can afford to ride public transit.
I/We the undersigned, petition Ottawa City Council to:
- Freeze transit fares in Budget 2020 for people who use the Access, Community, and EquiPasses;
- Increase the standard transfer time from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours.
- Increase the eligibility of the EquiPass by 15% above the Low-Income Cut-Off, as defined by Statistics Canada;
- Add 1 weekday of free transit use for people living on low-income; and
- Implement a sliding scale for transit fares, with different price bands based on people’s income (for example, in Calgary, if an individual earns less than $12,000 a year, their monthly public transit pass costs them less than $6/month).
By signing this petition, I hereby acknowledge that this petition will become a public document at the City of Ottawa and that all information contained in it will be subject to the scrutiny of the City, and will be publicly available. Questions about the collection and disclosure of personal information contained in this petition should be directed to the City Clerk, 110 Laurier Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1J1.
By providing your email address, you consent to Healthy Transportation Coalition sending you electronic messages. You can withdraw your consent at any time.
Mathieu Samson-Savage donated 2019-09-12 13:57:35 -0400